Angie: The Sports Authority

Welcome to Angie's sports blog! My interesting and funny articles will show you the most recent and interesting news in the sports world.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Sport Clubs help survivors of earthquake in Peru

Last week we all saw the dramatic scenes caused by a powerful earthquake in the South american nation of Peru. I have many friends there, and I was touched and shocked by the tragic event.

No need to say that I inmediately tryed to call my friends in Lima, only to discover that the telephones were dead. 10 hours later, I finally made contact: People in Lima was fine, but hundreds were crushed in the southern cities of Pisco, Ica and Chincha.

A few days later, I found that many athletes and sports organizations were making big efforts to relief the pain in the area. I'm so glad be part of the sports world, because once again I discovered that sports can help to make a better world. And that is priceless:

• Spanish football team Real Madrid donated part of the gate money from Saturday's league opener against neighbours Atletico Madrid, to help people in Peru.
• Argentine club Boca Junior donated an important ammount to the victims.
• Peruvian footballer Nolberto Solano is promoting friendly games to collect money for the survivors. A friendly game between Peru and England is due to be part of the plan.
• A friandly match between Peru and Costa Rica was held as an effort to relief the pain in the devastated area.

There are thousand of helping hands around the world. I'm sure the peruvian people are saying thank you to all of them (if you haven't help yet, do it now!).

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home